The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: New batch of Electric flamingo dropping today?

Default Re: New batch of Electric flamingo dropping today?

Had some fun with it so far. Tomorrow I am gonna mess with it again. This is a pic of the piece with a UV LED stuck into the mouthpiece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10553465_315100605345331_5226811961501688796_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	70782
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10917380_315100585345333_1303920340447276587_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	70783
    Simian Glass on Facebook

If you know the Way broadly you will see it in all things. -Musashi

Q: Prove God doesn't exist.
    A: That's a tough one. Show me how it's done by proving Zeus and Apollo don't exist, and I'll use your method. ~unknown

So as an irregular forum visitor I have to ask- when and why did this stuff get so ridiculously popular? Seems like it just blew up all of the sudden. Back in my day (because I'm such a grandpa ) I feel like nobody used to like it at much at all.

Wow that really looks like it glows well. A friend of mine had bought some atomic kumquat about maybe a year back now I think, and we were quite disappointed with how much it really seemed to glow. Not sure if this was due to a batch or just him using it way too thin... Does one generally have to get a UV led light/flashlight for this stuff to really pop? I wish I had one laying around, I might just head to GA tomorrow right when they open... maybe they have one laying around heh. I would love to get a bunch if it works well. What we had before of the AK just seemed a let down under a full on blacklight. I just got some lemon drop rod, and coil potted it pretty nicely, but the idea of some tube sounds delicious.
    Last edited by gomilobster; 01-19-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Extinct colors sell!
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$$$$$ View Post
    This thread is sweet, keep it going. Keep describing the piece without pics and we'll try to picture it and ask cool questions, such as where's the pics or post pics..
    Quote Originally Posted by DickFarm Glass View Post
    I'm no longer learning to blow glass...Back to the shop with my bad ass self, this Lambo isn't going to buy itself

let me be the first to say i bought some today, hurry up y'all, wake up and empty your wallets!
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Thanks for the heads up! Order placed. My bank account is not hapy with me

Its out go go go go!

Thanks got mine!!

mmmmmm /me homer drool talks "in store pickup...." I wonder if I can go grab my order right now or if I have to wait for a call/email saying its ready Not to worry if I am not happy with the stuff, I am sure someone on here might like what I snagged.

Got a lb to split with my apprentice.

"Never open your mouth, unless you're in the dentist chair."
    -Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano

Bulletproof Glassworks LLC
    http://bulletproofboro.bigcartel.com
    BulletproofGlassworks@Gmail.com
    www.instagram.com/BulletproofGlassworks
    #BulletproofGlassworks @BulletproofGlassworks

Greenville, South Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-crispy View Post
    So as an irregular forum visitor I have to ask- when and why did this stuff get so ridiculously popular? Seems like it just blew up all of the sudden. Back in my day (because I'm such a grandpa ) I feel like nobody used to like it at much at all.
    Same here, I got some years ago and didn't like it at all. got rid of it by doing fume dot I/O. shit had more bubbles than a jacuzzi.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
    Same here, I got some years ago and didn't like it at all. got rid of it by doing fume dot I/O. shit had more bubbles than a jacuzzi.

Not sure which is a better deal the lemon drop or the flamingo turds...

when a color is all the rage is when its the time to buy it. i am going to take the rods and blow them out into solid tubing and make shit(turds) out of that i think. bubbles are not too bad that way either.
    you will shank me later

I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    when a color is all the rage is when its the time to buy it. i am going to take the rods and blow them out into solid tubing and make shit(turds) out of that i think. bubbles are not too bad that way either.
    nice. so it still glows well pulled down thin? how about spaghetti size stringers???

Greenville, South Carolina, United States

stuff I had just didn't glow well at all. from the looks of those pics they got it down. or maybe the led lights make a difference, I had an old school florecent black light.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
    stuff I had just didn't glow well at all. from the looks of those pics they got it down. or maybe the led lights make a difference, I had an old school florecent black light.
    I have a feeling alot of the hype is in the photography and LED lights...while those dab kids are trying to make their lighter fluid less prevalent...

The new EF has fewer bubbles than the old stuff. However bubbles on a clear UV color are pretty much necessary otherwise you will not see as bright a glow as there is nothing to reflect the light.

Well I will say this, I have some strange czech uranium glass cat buttons which are very thin (to the point im kinda worried about their fragility as a friend accidentally broke one in half already maybe by dropping it). They do not have any bubbles and look nearly clear when held up to a normal white compact florescent bulb (quite a bit less than sublime or haterade but prob due to thinness). I have the same size kind of bulb in black light form and when I move over to that from my white one (not even in a very dark room) those buttons glow like the dickens.

I don't really expect the EF to be as poppin as that, but it would be nice if the lesser amount of bubbles this time was a feature along with a better glowing power. /me shrugs

I might take some comparison shots of the uranium buttons and the EF side by side to compare under a compact florescent black light. Should be interesting considering I dont really consider those bulbs to be all that strong in the UV output compared to one of the classic tube bulbs.

And now all I can think about is smashing those Uranium cat buttons between two marias somehow without air bubbles for an encased UV uranium glowing cat face marble. DOH maaahhh buuuhHHhtuuuhhnnnns!
    Last edited by gomilobster; 01-20-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: vernacular

Quote Originally Posted by gomilobster View Post
    Well I will say this, I have some strange czech uranium glass cat buttons which are very thin (to the point im kinda worried about their fragility as a friend accidentally broke one in half already maybe by dropping it). They do not have any bubbles and look nearly clear when held up to a normal white compact florescent bulb (quite a bit less than sublime or haterade but prob due to thinness). I have the same size kind of bulb in black light form and when I move over to that from my white one (not even in a very dark room) those buttons glow like the dickens.
    The quality of some of the raw Czech glass is off the charts, because of a long tradition of absolutely not accepting bubbles in artistic glass. It helps, of course, that glass art is a huge trade there.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry-Allen View Post
    nice. so it still glows well pulled down thin? how about spaghetti size stringers???
    i'm not sure where you are getting that idea from my post. i said i was going to take the rod and make them into tubing, thats the thickest way i know to utilize color for hollow work, as opposed to using any clear. the only info i saw about this color was to keep it thick for better effect, i have never used it before.
    you will shank me later